Wednesday, December 30, 2015

YiR: Thank you 2015

I was once told that successful people review their progress regularly to gauge where they are, relative to their goals. I did a mid-year review in June and reviewed the goals I set at the start of the year. I make annual resolutions and goals but those goals move and adjust as the year progresses and I incorporate new ones as time passes, so I don't forget things and continuously improve. Well, that's the intent anyway.

If you've got some time this holiday season, join me in reviewing your year and seeing how things went (or didn't go)...

PERSONAL

A lot of things have shifted for me, personally. There are things I set out for myself that didn't come into fruition simply because I was pre-occupied. But that all said, the major decision of quitting my corporate job and trying to find myself and figure out what I wanted to do was a life-changing event that still leaves me wondering some days, if I'm going down the right path or if I'm being selfish (or stupid) for even seeking out such a far reaching dream. At the crux of the matter though, I feel like I have to make choices for me and nobody else and be okay with the various potential outcomes, including those which might not be as I envisioned them in my head.

Acceptance of whatever I'm dealt

BUCKINGHAM/STANLEY C. PANTHER

These boys are a big part of my life and if you know me in person, you know how important my boys are, to me. Nobody spends as much time as I do, training and caring for two household cats as I do. My main focus is desensitization and clicker training. I do lots and expose them to plenty so that they can be prepared for anything that comes our way. Our neighbours already think that these two are a total hoot running and chasing one another in the backyard and climbing trees but they probably think I'm even stranger! But no matter, I am doing this for their benefit, not mine.

I haven't gotten around to posting any holiday sweater photos of these two

RIDING

This side of my life has been progressing well considering I ride 1-2 times a week and generally spend a lot of time sitting at a table/desk. I've started riding a fancy-pants sport horse and I'm jumping courses. I didn't think would be progressing so successfully in this realm. If I could now refocus all this success and energy onto other areas...



READING

Okay. Let's not beat around the bush here. I totally flopped this year with reading. And I don't really have any proper or legitimate excuse. I will be reviewing my listing and my availabilities in the new year to see what's actually feasible and set up appropriate attainable goals.

I was over-confident

As usual, I continue to struggle with the goals I set out for myself while having some limited success. It's totally a learning experience all the time and while I wasn't nearly as successful the first time I reviewed my goals, I feel that despite the challenges of 2015, I have come out rather well and am looking forward to improving my stats for 2016!

9 comments:

  1. Love the cat picture meme going on haha Glad to see riding is going well, though I too failed on the reading part- at least we both have next year to improve ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! cats always make the perfect memes. i don't know why but they have such a sense of humour!

      Delete
  2. I know that 2016 will be better for you. Your corporate job was draining your energy and happiness in a terrible way and I have already noticed renewed focus and excitement about life from you just since you quit! It's been great to see and I'm so happy for you :)

    I agree that you need to make choices for yourself, but you also need to consider the implications to others. You're in a great position that you are able to try something new and I envy you that! I would love to go back to school and be a teacher, but I have too many mortgages. For now, that's not an option as I can't expect my husband to pay all of them + our daily living expenses. Maybe one day it will be possible for me. Until then, I am at least searching for a new 9-5 that I can (at the very least) tolerate.

    As for reading, don't forget that I did offer to start a book club :D As for cats, you have the coolest cats ever (and I don't like cats as a rule, except yours). And as for riding, I hope that you continue to find success and stress relief from your favourite hobby in the new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! as you know, it was a really tough decision since the last time i "quit" something was when i decided to quit karate as a 8 or 9 year old. but, i'm both excited and nervous about the coming years.

      you're absolutely right about that! i was chatting with the doc at work and he was suggesting that since i have ADW who makes a good living and didn't have kids (minus my furbabies), moving around to go to school was a viable option. but, i don't think i could ever ask any of them to support me like that and go around the world for school--which is expensive! it's also been pointed out to me that there are other ways... which the vet tech route now doesn't seem all that bad... we'll see ;)

      yesyesyes. i know. i don't know if i can commit to it at this time with the schooling, working and house keeping and all the other things i keep up with (volunteering and hobbies). in fact, i don't know if i'll be able to create a reading list this year short of my text books. haha

      my cats are always the best. every cat that i come in contact with!! LOL is my hubris oozing enough yet? i like to think that you just haven't met the right cat for you. they've got the most hilarious senses of humour and because they're cute and little on the outside but vicious killers on the inside (and outside...), they are some of the best companions!

      thank you again and looking forward to your new year too!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, I LOVE that picture of your cats in their Christmas sweaters. Way too cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehehe thanks! they're such sweethearts to humour me :D

      Delete
  5. aw i love all the cat pics too! congrats on the big year and glad to hear that the riding has been progressing so well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! i am really nervous and excited all at the same time...

      Delete