Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Next Challenge: Bons

I typically don't wait so long after lessons because don't remember details of what took place! The biggest change is that Ariel is out of commission for me, after it was noticed that she's jumping a little "flat"/long and she seems to be just a bit "off". She's sound and that isn't so much the issue but it looks like she's a little sore or just plain cranky since she's become quite in demand! That said though, we change things up and I am given a choice of Bonspiel or Molson. Both move similarly in that they get heavy on the forehand and require a bunch of face contact--totally unlike Ariel who is mostly uphill and wants you to leave her face alone.

That's not the most intimidating part: the fact that both are 2 hh'r than Ariel proves to be an intimidating feature for me. The first ride was terrifying for me. I was literally shaking in my booties when I went to get Bons (who is closer to 1200lbs+) in the paddock and bring him in. Tacking up was also a feat because the last time I attempted it, the saddle was placed on his kidneys. *womp womp womp*

The first lesson with Bons was all about just getting a feel for his movement and the way he communicates with his rider. He's changed a lot since I last rode him--he's more confident in himself and he's become (to me) less bouncy. I don't find his gait nearly as floaty and big as I have in the past. The sitting trot is still really tough to ride but I manage much better.

As lessons pass, I become much more confident with learning to ride his movement and anticipating his short-comings like his difficulty on the right rein. Riding a larger horse who is impeccably trained since he was a baby is a real treat because he has exact buttons but at the same time, he may or may not read between the lines and take a gander at what I might want of them at the time.

Quite a few lessons have passed since I started riding Bonspiel and I'll be sticking with him for now. Both Sheri and J have told me that the match is good and I will likely learn much more riding Bons than sticking it out with Ariel unless I can tame that 'tude. Bons requires more contact in the reins and is a fancy pants sport-horse so I would effectively be "moving forwards" into a new challenge that would continue to challenge my riding.

8 comments:

  1. Too bad you haven't been riding Ariel lately, but it sounds like you can learn a lot from Bons. Getting a saddle on a big horse is quite difficult---I've ridden a draft horse long enough last year to learn that! I hope you have fun with him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! it's definitely challenging b/c i am short. :\ he's also just very different from ariel so it's been really a bit challenge. i do miss ariel's size and think if i ever get my own horse, that's the size i'd stick with... anything bigger just seems like too much horse.

      Delete
  2. Bons sounds fancy and awesome! Maybe he will progress you faster in jumping?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. he's really quite fancy indeed! apparently he was considered for an olympic rider when he was born! but he's also got the 'tude to go with it and and while he's agreeable most of the time, he has moments where he's just going to stop listening to you b/c you're not asking it the right way. we'll see what happens... he's like riding a bus :|

      Delete
  3. switching horses can be hard (and sometimes a little sad) but there is so much to be learned from riding a variety. Bons sounds like a lot of fun too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh totally! it's like learning to ride all over again in some aspects. but i'm definitely learning a lot and am enjoying it in the process :)

      Delete
  4. He sounds like a lot of fun! After strictly riding only Ypke for 2 years, there was a big learning curve when I rode a different horse. Once you become so used to one horse, it is quite amazing how different they truly are from each other. That's a bummer about Ariel, though I'm sure you can learn a lot from Bons (and it sounds like you already have!) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yup! he's a very different personality and movement and i am getting the hang of him but it's been challenging without a doubt. possibly more challenging than learning to ride ariel because of his gait quality.

      Delete