Sunday, August 4, 2013

Lesson #44: Bareback Challenge

Aug 2, 2013

I'm on my own today; ADW is on his way home from a week in his NYC office and I'm on my way out to Greyden.

I thought the class would just be the 3 of us today but I was so wrong! We had 2 guests whom I didn't expect... *sigh* I don't like having new people I don't know, in the class! :( But, I suck it up (sort of) and get ready to tack up Trinket. I find her busy in her stall munching away and not really caring about heading out to do anything.

Since the weather is unpredictable and it's sloppy and wet outside, we ride indoors. We're greeted by that familiar indoor arena smell... reminiscent of winter. It's been a while since we're ridden indoors and I'm not sure if I necessarily miss it. We start with a brief warm-up of trotting: with posting and seated trot. Seated trot feels good today. Because the ring space is small and there are 5 of us and Trinket isn't exactly the best candidate for a canter in a smaller space, we focus on things that we can all do.

The newbies are learning to do the basic stuff, the rest of us get to focusing on perfecting our trot and walk and transitions. When it seems we're sufficiently in rhythm with trot, Sheri says "take your feet out of the stirrups and now do seated trot."

This isn't impossible to execute but it certainly is challenging and tests our leg endurance--particularly our inner thighs. I remember to wrap my legs around Trinket's body and find that the best leg position to get her moving forward and to continue to stay seated is when my leg position is mimicking the way things would be if we were sitting in the saddle with stirrups. Even initiating with the lower leg squeeze is effective when the leg position is mimicking the proper seat position! Interesting, I think to myself.

Next up? Posting trot without stirrups!! While I've heard it has been done before, I've never seen someone actually do it and I don't have a concept of how it is done. But what the heck, let's try it anyways! Let me tell you, it is tough! Seated trot doesn't use much stirrup but usually with posting trot (so far), I am using the stirrups to move upwards so it isn't conceivable in my brain. But, we somehow manage it. I find myself using my thighs to rise from my seat... and it doesn't last! It is also not the most comfortable for us to accomplish without going cross-eyed. Looks like I need to work on my inner thigh muscle endurance.

Next... we move to bareback: walking while on bareback is not new for us since we've done it before. But, try seated trot now: level of difficulty? 5/5. I experienced not only difficulty staying balanced in the seat but I was only able to maintain proper thigh contact for short periods of time. Whenever Trinket stopped short, my body would continue to move forward and my "bits" would jam into her whithers. I don't know how a guy would manage to do this unless he has incredible thigh strength endurance!! I got a few strides in there where I was able to stay seated and centered but it wasn't for long. Leg position is truly critical here because without the proper leg position, you lose balance and it's more likely you'd fall right off.

An interesting lesson, needless to say! It is certainly something to work towards and brings the learning experience to a whole new level from the original ride to cantering around on Trinket and now the balance and muscle requirements! What a lesson :)

2 comments:

  1. sounds like it was quite the challenge that I missed!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i hope you get the opportunity to try it... and i hope jason is there too.

      Delete