Friday, March 9, 2012

KONY 2012: Knowledge is Power

And I like the taste of power. In fact, I enjoy bathing in power when I'm feeling down. It helps revive the spirit and get me feeling like I can take on the world with anything it throws my way. It's refreshing like a cool mojito on a hot summer day.

As I mentioned yesterday, I would speak more about Joseph Kony. I received an email from my coworker regarding this horrible man. I do plead ignorance to what is happening around the world in many respects. I comprehend that there are people of all walks of life and all types of experiences and cultures. I even recognize that there are atrocities happening in this world, that may be far removed from our western society.

Most of us are very privilaged and we even live our lives through rose coloured glasses. We pretend (or maybe choose) to live ignorant to the bad things that are happening around us. We continually surround ourselves with things that don't "bring us down". That's human nature.

But, as human beings, we have a sort of responsiblity--I think--to be aware of what is going on as well as taking action where we can. I'm not suggesting that we get out there and do some of the crazy things that protestors do. To me, that's not effective anyways. Even donating money to the cause may not help. Getting into the trenches is really, or spreading the word on a cause or situation. Educating oneself fully about what is happening is key.

Joseph Kony is a horrible human being ("human" is used loosely) who has been doing unspeakable things to other human beings. Watch the video to better understand what's going on: http://vimeo.com/37119711. Kony makes the top of the Worst War Criminals.

I don't necessary suggest that everyone get their wallet out and donate a bunch of money to the non-for-profilt group, but merely to make yourself aware of what else is happening in this world. It's foolish to continue living in the bubble we currently live in and believe that it's ok not to be educated in what's happening. You might never get yourself out to Africa to do something about this, but maybe someone you tell will. Or maybe that letter you write to the Canadian government will get something initiated for stopping this.

No comments:

Post a Comment