Friday, January 16, 2015

Doesn't the Horse Do All the Work?

This is probably a question that comes up regularly for horseback riders (novice or otherwise) when speaking with non-horsey friends and family (or strangers). This post's underlying theme is a rant but I am running out of patience and, polite responses! Granted, sometimes it's genuine ignorance and they're reasonably open of the discussion we have. I have yet to meet anyone who is belligerent about the response but here's the question for you riding readers, what do you say?

Well I have to, when Deb's not paying attention!
The background to this post started with a dinner meeting in October: I met up with people who don't ride (but are physically active) and was coming from my lesson. I live in the city but these people live in the 'burbs and have really close access to riding stables and have zero (ZERO! Can we go negative points?) interest to explore the sport. We start on a bit of the usual banter and I try to avoid talking about what I had been up to. The question of where I was coming from came up casually but one of them asked "Why are you so tired and sweaty? Doesn't the horse do all the work when you ride?" I was too shocked and offended (b/c I'm sensitive, like that) to be flabbergasted. I raised an eyebrow and slowly (and calmly) replied "no". Clearly I looked like I was ready to punch them in the face so someone else piped up and asked about what it's like and what I do etc. The instigator continued to rub me the wrong way by asking things like "... that's the highest you go? (yea, because they can do more, right?)... don't you just sit up there and have the horse take you around? (because horses have become mind readers)... you like the stink of horse and poop? (oh come on. because if they haven't showered in days or weeks, they smell like roses. And everyone poops!)..."

I wish I had the cojones/balls/bullocks/chutzpah to whip out my smart phone and then make them watch this (the authors do need to get the grammar right in this vid but yea, "take that, jerkface!"):


Have a good day, everyone! :)

6 comments:

  1. Amazing video!! That dinner sounds like a nightmare; I don't blame you for fuming! I remember a friend of mine once asked me why I was "still" taking lessons and commented that she learned everything she needed to know after two trail rides. Quite laughable, but at the time I was so stunned and vaguely insulted by her statement and complete lack of understanding about what I was doing, that I just dumbly changed the topic. As much as I love all elements of equestrian life, I do try not to talk about it much with people who don't get it because I hate answering the inevitable questions about how high I jump, how fast I gallop and if my horse does any tricks. When I answer no to all these questions, these folks always give me a pained look like I am a complete lunatic doing the lamest "sport" in the world. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. most people have absolutely no clue and it's infuriating to chat with people like this about the sport. i usually just casually answer a few questions, laugh it off and then change the subject now. not that i have many opportunities that this arises now (lol i probably scared everyone away!) but when they do, i resort to getting through it quickly. but what a HUGE pain!!

      Delete
  2. I had a high school gym teacher who made a lot of comments like that! I used to want to tell him to come to my house, jump on my cross-country machine event horse, and go for a ride.

    Some people never understand- the worst are those who don't even TRY to stay open-minded to the possibility that perhaps the horse ISN'T doing all the work! That video is a great response.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. a PE teacher made those comments?! wow... you'd think that teachers usually are more open-minded and have a wider range of you know, experience. but clearly this guy didn't!

      it's amazing how quickly people write off the sport as "not a big deal". i never write off other people's sport as "not a big deal"! i might not enjoy it (once i've tried it) but at least i can say "it's not for me", at that point.

      Delete
  3. just found your blog from Laura @ Bit by Bit's link - excited to get caught up! but yea, this post speaks to me - and i understand the frustration too well. like when my grandfather says he'll come to my shows later when i jump the bigger stuff and it's actually interesting... grr lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awesome! i've been following laura for sometime since we're both in similar situations as adults learning to ride. HA! i find it hilarious (and kind sad panda inducing) when i get those comments too. they mean well... and i know they're trying to be supportive but it's frustrating!

      Delete